It’s Frozen Foods Month! Ya, I had no idea either until the internet told me. However, that makes it a great time to round up some great healthy freezer meals.
If you have never done freezer meals I highly encourage you to try it. They are a fantastic way to quickly and easily put a healthy meal on the table for your family. Even if it’s just you, many freezer meals can be divided into individual portions and frozen.
Growing up my mom often did freezer meals because there were so many of us. I can remember plenty of Saturdays with friends and family gathered around tables putting together enough food to feed a small army. It was always fun because the kids got to play together and the moms had a chance to socialize as well.
If this is your first time doing freezer meals, I would highly encourage you to enlist a friend or family member to do it with you. It lightens the load to have extra hands but it’s also one of those things that you can just enjoy doing with someone else.
Here are my top 5 favorite freezer meals (or variations of them):
- Soy Honey Garlic Chicken Marinade – from sweet peas and saffron
- I love a good honey garlic chicken. This is an excellent marinade full of flavor and super easy to put together.
- Thick and Hearty Chili – from I Wash You Dry
- I will admit that I alter this recipe to fit my hubby’s tastes a little more, but this is a great recipe as is as well. I swap out ground beef for ground turkey, tomato puree and the diced tomatoes for plain tomato sauce and then add a small can of mild diced green chilies. Also, second confession, I usually just keep the ingredients for this in my cupboard instead of making and freezing but it does freeze well.
- Lasagna – from About a Mom
- My mom used to make pans and pans of lasagna when she made it. It’s not hard but it can be time consuming. Make a healthier version by swapping out the beef for turkey and the noodles for a whole grain version.
- Meatloaf/meatballs – from isabella104 on allrecipes.com
- This is my husband’s favorite meat loaf recipe. It’s so tasty that even I as a meatloaf hater am a convert. I also dish it up as balls into my muffin tins and bake it into meatballs. They are not as flavorful as some meatballs but we like a very flavorful sauce so the meatballs don’t need to be overwhelmingly flavorful.
- Lemon Pepper Chicken – from New Leaf Wellness
- I made this one before C was born, and it was a hit with both my and hubby as a freezer meal. I sometimes get lazy and just sprinkle Lemon Pepper on chicken but it’s just not the same.
Want more freezer meals? Check out Pinterest to see more recipes. Don’t forget to leave a comment with your favorite freezer meal recipe.